Diversity and Equality
An academy where everyone feels valued
Derby Pride Academy is committed to the active promotion of equality and opportunity for all. Derby Pride Academy is an inclusive alternative provision establishment where we focus on the well-being and progress of every learner and where all members of our community are of equal worth.
We accept that the community of the academy consists of a diverse population of people. That diversity consists of visible and non-visible differences which include factors such as age, sex, background, race, disability, religion, sexual orientation, personality and work style. We work on the premise that harnessing these differences will create a productive environment in which everybody feels valued, where their talents are being utilised and in which we are all meeting the goals of the academy.
Our approach to equality is based on the following 7 key principles:
- All learners are of equal value. Whether or not they are disabled, whatever their ethnicity, culture, national origin or national status, whatever their gender and gender identity, whatever their religious or non-religious affiliation or faith background and whatever their sexual orientation.
- We recognize, respect and value difference and understand that diversity is a strength. We take account of differences and strive to remove barriers and disadvantages which people may face, in relation to disability, ethnicity, gender, religion, belief or faith and sexual orientation. We believe that diversity is a strength, which should be respected and celebrated by all those who learn, teach and visit here.
- We foster positive attitudes and relationships. We actively promote positive attitudes and mutual respect between groups and communities different from each other.
- We foster a shared sense of cohesion and belonging. We want all members of our academy community to feel a sense of belonging within the academy and wider community and to feel that they are respected and able to participate fully in academy life.
- We observe good equalities practice for our staff. We ensure that policies and procedures benefit all employees and potential employees in all aspects of their work, including in recruitment and promotion, and in continuing professional development.
- We have the highest expectations of all our children. We expect that all students can make good progress and achieve their highest potential.
- We work to raise standards for all learners, but especially for the most vulnerable. We believe that improving the quality of education for the most vulnerable groups of students raises standards across the whole academy.
For more information, please see our Diversity and Equality Policy.